Leyte Provincial Capitol: Once The Seat of the Commonwealth Government of the Philippines
The Leyte Provincial Capitol or Capitolio is the seat of the provincial government of Leyte and once was the seat of the Commonwealth Government of the Philippines (October 23, 1944 to February 27, 1945) when President Sergio Osmeña came in 1944 with the World War II Liberation Forces.
Construction of the neoclassical building of Leyte Provincial Capitol started in 1917 during the administration of Governor Salvador K. Demetrio, completed and inaugurated in 1924 during the administration of Governor Honorio Lopez. The original edifice was renovated, expanded and beautified 40 years after upon assumption to office of Governor Norberto B. Romualdez, Jr. in 1964.
On the marker by Historical Committee of the Philippines reads:
On the steps of this capitol building of Leyte was formally installed 23 October 1944. Sergio Osmeña as president of the Commonwealth of the Philippines by General Douglas MacArthur in the presence of cabinetmen, liberation forces and many other grateful people . Henceforth , until 27 February 1945, this edifice served as the Capitol Building of the Philippines.
How to go there
Leyte Provincial Capitol is located at the corner of Senator Enage Street and Magsaysay Boulevard. To its west is Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center (EVRMC) and to its west is Plaza Liberta.
Leyte Provincial Capitol
Corner of Senator Enage Street and Magsaysay Boulevard