Palacio del Gobernador is a building inside Intramuros in Manila, the Philippines. It was the official residence and office of the Spanish governor generals during the Spanish colonial period. Today, it houses several government offices and the Intramuros Administration.
The Palacio del Gobernador was originally built in 1599 near Plaza de Armas (Parade Ground) in Fort Santiago but was moved to its present site by Governor General Fausto Cruzat y Góngora after the former was destroyed by an earthquake in 1645.
In 1850, Governor General Narciso Claveria gave the palace a new façade in the Neoclassical idiom. In 1863, earthquake damaged the palace. Plans to restore it were abandoned when another earthquake struck Manila in 1880 and by then the governor had transferred residence to Malacañang. It lay in ruins for almost a century until the Land Bank of the Philippines built an 8-storey building on the site in 1978.
How to get to Palacio del Gobernador
Ride a jeepney bound for the Pier and get off at Bonifacio Drive Intersection. The Palacio del Gobernador is a 15-minute walk going towards Aduana Street. It sits near Manila Cathedral, fronting Plaza Roma.
Palacio del Gobernador
Plaza Roma, General Luna Street