Oslob in Cebu has become a major tourist attraction since 2011 when news hit mainstream media that tourists can interact and feed whale sharks in shallow waters. It may be fun, but it should stop NOW.
5 Reasons Why Feeding Whale Sharks Should Stop
- The feeds you are giving to the whale sharks may affect their growth and reproduction.
- Whale sharks do not spend a lot of time in shallow waters and at the surface.
- Whale sharks are not supposed to stay in one site for prolonged periods of time.
- Whale sharks that approach feeders on a boat can make them more susceptible to injuries, poaching, and death.
- Whale shark’s welfare is protected by international laws. Anything that could harm them needs to be banned.